Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Tuttie Cutie Fruity Hats


These hats are way cute for a baby gift and they are super simple to make.

You can make Lemon, peach,apple, tomato, strawberry, pumpkin, eggplant (or grape) just depends on what color you like.

preemie use size 6 needles

Newborn-3 months size 8 needles


*size 3 needles for leaves

yarn i used was: plymouth yarn "Encore" knitting worsted weight 75% acrylic 25% wool

Cast on 54 stitches and work in stockinette stitch for about 4 inches. Begin decreasing for the crown as follows

K 7, k 2 tog

K 6, k 2 tog

K 5, k 2 tog

K 4, k 2 tog

K 3, k 2 tog

K 2, k 2 tog

K 1, k 2 tog

(this is where I switch to green)

Then keep in stockinette until the stem is as long as you like. I normally leave about 6 stitches on the needle so the stem doesn't look "pointy" then just cast off the 6 left on the needle.

How to make the Leaves:

On size 3 needles cast on 3 stitches and work 2 rows in garter stitch,

Continue in garter stitch increasing at each end of the next two rows (7 stitches).

Work 5 rows, then decrease 1 stitch at each end for the next 2 rows (3 stitches).

slip the next stitch to other needle, knit 2 together, and bind off.

5 comments:

Denise said...

Hi there!

I've just made a lemon hat using your pattern - it worked out beautifully :) You can see it on my Blog

Thanks for the pattern, I am sure I'll be making more of these for other babies in my life...

Cheers, Jejune :)

Ginger said...

These are so cute going post your blog link with baby hat pattern loved your blog! And the hats were sooo cute!!
hugs ginger(lovestodream)

Rosebud Collection said...

I have to admit..these are so darn cute on babies/kids..Thanks for posting.

Susan said...

Six years after this is posted, but I have a question. How do I finish off the top of the stem? Do I decrease the stiches and then... Not sure if I am missing something. I am a novice knitter and saw this and just love it!

Unknown said...

Wish I could talk/knit with you all! I knit ALL THE TIME now knitting hats for first-and-second-grade kids in school who are not well-protected in New Hampshire VERY COLD falls and winters. I LOVE these fruit-top hats! I try to find good designs for 10-row/70-stitch brims -- got something for these that go around the brims? Write me if you can/want to!
Shari (mejs224@comcast.net)